Friday, October 20, 2017

Just Thought It Was Cool

Very simply, I love fusing two ideas together such that the result is engaging, clever, compelling, and, dare I say it, cool. Yeah, I know my use of the word "cool" might be a little presumptuous, buuut, when you inject the Bride of Frankenstein--and monster--into the dance scene of the iconic powerhouse that is Pulp Fiction, it's hard not to pat myself on the back for coolness.


"Pulp Frankenstein"
10" x 20"
oil on canvas

Process...
In making the piece, I simply took some of the most famous poses of Uma Thurman's character Mia Wallace and John Travolta's character Vincent Vega in the dance sequence and superimposed the classic horror movie characters. I sketched it out on paper and then projected this drawing onto a canvas, drawing with an oil-based pencil. I proceeded with a basic underpainting with acrylic paint. The color I used was raw sienna. By "basic," I mean I painted in the contour elements and did a very rough depiction of values--largely just to hold my "road map" in place. After maybe an hour (to let it dry), I proceeded in a quasi-alla prima rendering, taking a couple days to get it done. 

And by all means, I invite you to get a closer look at Art by Jason Marsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment