Saturday, November 4, 2017

Breaking the Colt

My expertise (*snicker*) in horse training is derived largely from the movie The Man from Snowy River. Actually, back when I played piano a lot more, there was a sister--who did work with horses regularly--of an ex-girlfriend of mine who would frequently request that I learn (and later play) "Jessica's Theme (Breaking the Colt)"--from The Man from Snowy River. Eventually I saw the movie. While I can't honestly give it a stellar review the song is actually very good. The sequence of breaking in the horse was enjoyable. I like to think that the idea of "breaking a colt" simply lay dormant with me for years, waiting until I was ready to merge it with the carousel art ideas I love so much.



"Breaking the Carousel Colt"
12" x 12"
oil on canvas

Process...
I sketched out a simple line drawing on paper with (graphite) pencil and then transferred that to the canvas with oil pencil. I relatively quickly drew over this contour work in acrylic paint (raw sienna). This was another painting that then came together rather fast. I painted directly, tending toward a dark-to-light approach. I modeled the carousel trappings after one of the horses on the carousel at the Santa Monica Pier. Interestingly, I "messed up" the fence when transferring the drawing to canvas (the tilt/perspective was off). I took a chance and just painted the fence in directly, figuring it was needed simply to support the "story of the scene."

Of course you're invited to take another look--and get yours (?)--here

No comments:

Post a Comment